Thursday, July 31, 2008

Farmhouse

I love houses; mansions and cottages, historic homes and new homes, Tudors and Ranches. I am always looking whether it's online or out driving around. I especially love to look at older homes, those built before the 1940s, because of the architectual detail and charm that seemed to be standard on homes built back in the day. Of course, heaven on earth to me would be a farmhouse. I'm not sure I even care what style of home it is, just that it's out in the country. This one is for sale, but it's about an hour away from where we presently live. I love this big old stone house: I think this one is cute. I love the front porch with all the rocking chairs:
Another old stone farmhouse. It has a windmill on one side (you can kind of see it peeking out). A windmill would be icing on the cake!
Of course, I have a particular fondness for the American Four Square:

And the holy grail of farmhouses to me is this one; Francesca's house from Bridges of Madison County. Love it!

I'll probably never get my farmhouse. The Mr. likes newer homes and the convenience of living in town. He's a farmboy too, but I guess in his case, you could take the farm out of the boy.
Oh well, I can always look!
:) FF


2 comments:

Elise said...

FF, I feel your pain!! We are house hunting and while husband likes the look of older homes, he doesn't necessarily like the idea of upkeep. (sniff, sniff)
Love all the homes you posted.
Elise
Came from The Nester

CA Girl in 10-OC said...

I LOVE old farmhouses and Victorians. My husband, on the other hand, sees them as endless money pits. We compromised and had a new house built with the builder putting in all the modern things, but using antique architectural elements like antique windows, knewl posts and fireplace surrounds/mantels. Perfect!