Friday, July 11, 2008

New Window Treatment

Or rather, window mistreatments as they're called by Nester, which is where I got my inspiration. There are few things that I really despise, but one thing that I loathe behond loathe is hanging curtains, treatments, curtain rods, blinds, you get the idea. Now don't get me wrong, after doing this project, I still don't like hanging this stuff, but the bright note is, it's fairly inexpensive. The fabric was on clearance at Hobby Lobby for $4.00/yd, and the curtain hooks were on sale 50% off at Shopko. Upholstery pins were super cheap.

So here is the before. I had swing-arms from Restoration Hardware that the Mister hung for me and these cheap panels that I think came from Shopko. I was so over them. Not really sure why I was into them in the first place other than I liked the green. Excuse the dark picture, I didn't have some settings right and I was so anxious to hang my new treatment that I couldn't be bothered:


After much sweating, and I'm not kidding, my hair was drenched in the back, I got these hung. Don't even ask me any specifics because I'd never be able to explain. Let's just say that it involved a yardstick and math is my enemy. In high school I was in what we used to call a not so PC name that starts with an "R" and I don't mean remedial, though it basically means the same thing. The official name on the roster was Business Math. Scary! Anyway, I got it done and I think it looks pretty nice actually. The fabric is really nice and of heavier weight. And the best part? No sewing! That's something else I despise. Oh, how I wished I liked to sew, but 4-H and Home Ec ruined me forever on that one.

Here's the close-up because they look darker in the next picture. They actually look kinda dark here as well, but they're really a nice chocolate brown.


And last, but not least, I found all kinds of good bargains at Hobby Lobby. That pillow you see there in the middle? $6.99 on clearance! Gotta love Hobby Lobby!



Actually, there is one more thing. A disclaimer; if your husband is anything like mine, it's best to tackle this project when they're not home. My husband is a math whiz, unlike me, and he cringes when he sees me with a tape measure, hammer, nails. And holes in the walls? Forget it! Now, he is fine once he sees the end result (usually). He just doesn't want to be around while it's in progress. It's bad enough I had to endure comments from my 6yo the entire time saying things like, "Mom, that looks kind of sloppy" or "can I take a picture of you hanging those to show Daddy what a mess you made?" Heavens no, Child!! Sheesh!





Thanks for looking! FF

No comments: