Saturday, July 19, 2008

Roastin' Ears

And don't you dare call them Corn on the Cob. Any self-respecting person who has roots in the corn belt knows that these here are called "roastin' ears". I always think of a farm wife, not unlike my grandmas or the mister's grandma, loading a big roaster with ears of corn for the hired men, hungry from a morning's work from the field and ready to eat dinner, not lunch. Farmers don't eat lunch at noon or dinner in the evening. No, no, no. The noon meal is always dinner and the evening meal is supper.
Anyway, you can take the girl away from the farm, but....well, you know the rest:
FF

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I did not know that. I've been calling it Corn on the Cob since I could talk. Love it, too.

From now on, they're Roastin' Ears. Lee will think I've lost it, or am channeling Ma Ingalls.

Anonymous said...

My Kansas grandma always called the noon meal "dinner" - and she also fed the starving farm hands too. Thanks for the bit of nostalgia!

Darcy @ m3b said...

Really?! It's not corn on the cob?

I've now lived in Iowa for nearly 15 years and it just goes to prove... you can take the girl out of the city, but ya' can't take the city out of the girl.

Thanks for visiting me!

-Darcy

Anonymous said...

I'm originally from northern Indiana. For years, I've called it "Corn on the Cob", but I remember my family calling them "Roastin' Ears". When I lived in New England, it was called "Corn on the Cob". In Mass., we called the bi-color "Butter-Sugar Corn". Five miles away, in New Hampshire, it was called "Honey-Butter Corn."