Sunday, August 24, 2008

Sunday Hymn

For this is what the LORD says: "I will extend peace to her like a river, and the wealth of nations like a flooding stream; you will nurse and be carried on her arm and dandled on her knees.
Isaiah 66:12 NIV

When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot, Thou has taught me to say,
It is well, it is well, with my soul.
- Words by Horatio G. Spafford, 1873- Music by Philip P. Bliss, 1876

I think it's important to include the story behind this beautiful, haunting song:
The words to this hymn was written after two major traumas in Spafford's life. The first was the Great Chicago Fire of October 1871, which ruined him financially. Shortly after, while crossing the Atlantic, all four of Spafford's daughters died in a collision with another ship. Spafford's wife Anna survived and sent him the now famous telegram: "SAVED ALONE." Several weeks later, as Spafford's own ship passed near the spot where his daughters died, he was inspired to write these words.
Bliss originally named the tune "Ville de Havre" after the ship on which Spafford's four girls perished, the SS Ville de Havre. Ironically, Bliss himself died in a tragic train wreck shortly after writing this music.


And if you really want to get out the box of Kleenex, then check out this beautiful version as performed by Amy Grant: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EieDEB1ddMU
It gives me chills.

1 comment:

EVIL twin said...

Popped by from "The Nester" to see your mistreatments and saw this post. Have you read the book based on this hymn? It's called Finding Anna and its WONDERFUL. If you are interested, email me, I'd be happy to mail it to you. (I firmly believe books should be passed around and loved by more than one person.)


April
cookiebunny@comcast.net